The problem with blogs is that they are extremely self-indulgent, but it is also probably true that no self-respecting website owner would omit one. I can’t say that I’m excited about having a part of this website where I am supposed to record in minute detail what I’m doing, what my ideas are, and how I feel about all of it. It’s too much like the journaling I had to do in high school, except that it’s posted on the World Wide Web for all to see. The point of journaling in sophomore English class was to free up our writing, making us fluent (if not effluent) in our use of written English. I think it worked, in my case, anyway, but that doesn’t mean the process was pretty. With the blog, on the other hand, it’s sort of assumed that I have something to say on a regular basis that people might be interested in reading. That’s sort of scary, now, isn’t it? My promises to you in this blog:
- I will strive to not be merely self-indulgent; rather, I will write about things that may in some way impact your life, or may make you think about what I’m thinking.
- This is a friendly blog. I will not be taking pot shots or posting gossip, and histrionic discussions of politics (local and otherwise) will not be a part.
- I will do my best to use complete, correct Standard Written English, but in a colloquial rather than an academic tone. Today is the last time you will see LOL, OMG, LMAO, IMHO or any variation of .
- I will respond to thoughtful comments in a reasoned and timely fashion.
- I will do everything in my power to make you feel like you have not wasted your time.
All that said, welcome!